TCNJ’s commitment to the intellectual and scholarly growth of our students is embodied, in part, through the curriculum’s focus on writing as a way of learning. All students are required to take three writing intensive courses during their tenure at the college. The first of these is First Seminar, taken in the fall semester of the first year; in the sophomore or junior year, students take the mid-level writing intensive course designated for the major, and then in the senior year, a writing intensive capstone course in the major.
There are many resources available to faculty as departments and schools identify and design their writing intensive courses:
- Writing Intensive Course Guidelines
- Please use this cover sheet when submitting a course to be designed as writing intensive, and email both the cover sheet and syllabus to Nina Ringer (email@example.com). All courses are reviewed by the Liberal Learning Program for approval.
- Individual consultations are always available. Just call ext. 2864 to set up an appointment.
- Workshops on a variety of topics (designing sequential assignments; creating rubrics; commenting on student writing to promote substantive revision) are offered toward the beginning of each semester, and are publicized via email.
- Articles on Writing Across the Curriculum in Science: An annotated bibliography for the Indiana University’s Writing Program site on articles addressing writing across the curriculum in the sciences.